Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Thanks Christian

Sorry all, I'm a bit tired to do a proper post, but thought I'd share this quote from a Footwear News interview with Christian Louboutin in the June 7th, 2010 issue. (And for those of you who don't know what Footwear News is, it's the WWD of the footwear world. And for those of you who don't know what WWD is, it's the Wall Street Journal of the fashion world. And for those of you who don't know who Christian Louboutin is...then we've got a big problem!)

FN: Given all your success, do you feel a lot of pressure to stay on top?
CL: When I'm in the factory, that's when I feel the pressure, when I see all those people working in my company. It's very important to keep people who have families and children all working. Apart from that, not really. I concentrate on my work and this is really what counts.

A few factories in my area have shut down during the recent crisis because stores can't pay the designers for their orders, and then designers can't pay their factories, and then factories can't pay their employees (like me!). I've worked in two different factories and visited scores of others, and in all of them the employees have been such wonderful people, so it's nice to see some recognition and responsibility on the part of the designers.

Thanks Christian.